After the overturning of Roe v. Wade, abortion became illegal in South Dakota. The only exception is if the mother’s life is in danger.
If you’re facing an unexpected pregnancy and living in South Dakota, you may be tempted to travel out of state for an abortion or seek abortion pills online. However, these options come with risks.
Before seeking abortion options, read on to learn more about how to protect your health. Or, if you want to talk to someone in person about your pregnancy options, call Alpha Center today at (605) 361-3500 to be connected to one of our caring client advocates. If you haven’t taken a lab-quality pregnancy test, Alpha Center provides them at no cost to you.
Get An Ultrasound
Ultrasound is the number one way to protect your health before seeking an abortion.
An ultrasound is a simple scan that can determine the following details about your pregnancy:
- Location. It is essential to rule out a life-threatening ectopic pregnancy, which is when the embryo attaches and grows outside the uterus. This requires immediate emergency treatment.
- Viability. During an ultrasound, the sonographer looks for a heartbeat to determine if your pregnancy is viable. Assessing viability is essential, considering that 26% of pregnancies end in miscarriage.
- Age. Certain abortion options, like medical abortion (also known as the “abortion pill”), are only FDA-approved if your pregnancy is under 10 weeks gestation.
Talk About Your Medical History
Speaking with a medical provider regarding your personal medical history is vital for your health and safety. Some situations that rule out medical abortion as an option include if you:
- Are too far along in your pregnancy
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place
- Have a suspected ectopic pregnancy
- Have certain medical conditions, including bleeding disorders; certain heart or blood vessel diseases; severe liver, kidney or lung disease; or an uncontrolled seizure disorder
- Take a blood thinner or certain steroid medications
- Can’t make follow-up visits to your provider or don’t have access to emergency care
- Have an allergy to the medicine used
Talking to a medical provider can help protect your health and safety.
Since abortion is illegal in South Dakota, seeking an abortion would take you out of state. This requires considering details like travel arrangements, associated costs, and recovery time. Before making plans, protect your health. Contact Alpha Center today to receive a free, limited ultrasound and speak with a trusted individual in a caring environment.
All appointments and resources are free and confidential. While the choice about your pregnancy is yours, we’re here to offer support and information. Your health and safety matter to us.
Alpha Center does not perform or refer for abortions.