If you are considering an abortion, you’ve probably heard about the abortion pill. This procedure, also known as chemical abortion, comes with significant risks to understand before trying to buy them online.
Making a pregnancy decision is one of the hardest decisions you will make – but you are not alone. As you consider what’s best for you and your future, be sure to explore all of your options and gather as much information as possible.
What to Know About the Abortion Pill
In order to understand the dangers of ordering the abortion pill online, it’s important to know the general health risks of the abortion pill.
There are many names for the abortion pill: chemical abortion, medication abortion, RU-486, Mifeprex, missed period pills and the list goes on. The major thing to know is that the abortion pill is actually a series of drugs that terminates an existing pregnancy.
A chemical abortion primarily uses two drugs: Mifepristone and Misoprostol. These two drugs are only intended for use up to 10 weeks of pregnancy; beyond that would require a surgical abortion.
The first drug, Mifepristone, blocks the effect of the hormone progesterone from sustaining the pregnancy. This causes the uterine lining to thin and prevents the embryo from implanting or growing within the uterus. After about 24 – 72 hours, the second drug, Misoprostol, is taken. Misoprostrol causes the uterus to contract and expel the pregnancy through the vagina.
Chemical Abortion Risks:
- Some pregnancies fail to abort, resulting in an incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- Seeing fetal tissue expelled
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding, known as hemorrhaging
- Possible life-threatening infection
- Digestive system discomfort
Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online
Ordering the abortion pill from the Internet can seem like a quick and easy process, but it comes with added health risks. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has put some guidelines in place to protect women, but ordering the abortion pill online without any medical oversight could still be dangerous. Here are the additional risks:
- The lack of a lab-quality urine or blood pregnancy test to confirm a pregnancy
- The lack of a pre-abortion screening that includes an evaluation of your medical history and overall health, including discussing your blood type
- The lack of an ultrasound exam to date the pregnancy and confirm it’s not outside the uterus (ectopic pregnancy) and not a tumor that developed in the uterus (molar pregnancy)
- Unverified chemicals may be found in abortion pills ordered online
- Non-prescribed or unverified dosages could lead to an incomplete abortion or become life-threatening (overdose)
- Abortion pills ordered online may have been manufactured outside of the United States and, therefore, may not meet the FDA’s guidelines
Your Pregnancy Details
Fully understanding your pregnancy before making a final decision on abortion is vital to your wellbeing. Receiving an ultrasound following a positive pregnancy test is necessary to know what options you have. An ultrasound will reveal the age, location, and viability of your pregnancy and help a medical provider determine if there are major health complications to consider as you make your decision.
Confirm your pregnancy at Alpha Center with a free pregnancy test and ultrasound. Get the clarity you need to take your next step.
Schedule your appointment with us to learn more about your options.