If you’re experiencing an unexpected pregnancy, it’s essential to know that the choice about how to move forward is yours to make. It’s also critical that you make your pregnancy decision without feeling pressure from anyone — your mental health matters.
Read on to learn more about the importance of your decision-making process and the available resources to help you on this journey. If you want to talk to someone about all of your pregnancy options, call Alpha Center today at (605) 361-3500 to connect with one of our caring team members. All appointments and resources are free and confidential.
The Importance Of Making Your Pregnancy Decision
Abortion comes with risks to your mental health. According to the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, almost 75% of women who had an abortion felt at least subtly pressured into getting one—and many of these women suffered adverse mental health outcomes afterward, including feelings of:
- Being unworthy of love
- Low self-esteem
- Thoughts of self harm or suicide
If you’re feeling pressured into an abortion by your partner, you’re more likely to experience adverse mental health outcomes. Pressure can even come indirectly through your particular circumstances, living situation, finances, family or friends, etc.
You’re Not Alone
Making a pregnancy decision can feel overwhelming, and not having your partner’s support can make you feel isolated. But you’re not alone in this. At Alpha Center, we’re here to help. We understand that each person’s situation is unique and we’re not here to judge you.
If you’re considering parenting, we offer services and resources at no cost to help you feel successful and supported as a parent. These resources include:
- Parenting education classes: You’ll learn all about what to expect during pregnancy, birth, and beyond while earning material items (diapers, clothing, furniture, etc.) for your baby.
- Motherhood mentoring: You’ll be paired with a caring woman who will provide one-on-one encouragement during pregnancy and beyond.
- Fatherhood mentoring: Your partner can also be paired with a trained male mentor to walk with him through this journey with practical support and encouragement
- Community referrals: In need of financial, medical, or housing assistance? We can provide community referrals to help you have what you need to succeed as a parent.
Your pregnancy decision is yours, but we’re here to support you along the way. Call us today at (605) 361-3500 to schedule a free, confidential appointment.